Help - Damp chimney breast

Looks like you have open pots..? Rain is the cause of much damp problem if stack not used.
It's not condensation by t he way. Do you use the fire place?

No the fireplace has been sealed for years, but without a proper vent.....

Yes unvented stack and crack pot with loose poinitng will cause damp, joe need to read up on how condensation works.

Fix the pot, lead work if needed and point area needed. Job done. Oh vent the stack

Sponsored Links
Looks like you have open pots..? Rain is the cause of much damp problem if stack not used.
It's not condensation by t he way. Do you use the fire place?

No the fireplace has been sealed for years, but without a proper vent.....

Yes unvented stack and crack pot with loose poinitng will cause damp, joe need to read up on how condensation works.

Fix the pot, lead work if needed and point area needed. Job done. Oh vent the stack

Back to what I said in my first post......;

So explain why end terraces with a cold wall get more condensation/damp probs?

Explain why all the houses with totally open pots get no probs?

Better still, go out and look at end terraces and explain why you can see from outside the course of damp bricks from floor to chimney.

Then get back to me.

Hi, I am suffering the same issue and so are both my neighbours. Fortunately I am renovating so I saw the moisture was soaking through from the chimney hole it's self. It is a combination of condensation and rain water so your resolutions are as follows. If the fire places are blocked but the tops are vented then you need to ensure to chimney itself is clear from blockage to allow air flow, if you want the bottom completely sealed then you need to completely seal the top to stop moisture from getting access. Before doing option the sealed option you will need to dry out the chimney. The way I did it was to completely open the top of the chimney exposing the main core, leaving for a couple of day just to dry it out then cover with slate and then render. Once top is sealed then close of your seals at the bottom. My house is very old and these old houses were built and specifically designed to have an open fire which would have kept the chimney free from condensation. Hope this helps

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back