Bubbling plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been reading other posts about bubbling plaster on chimney breast walls. I have this problem which I have had a damp company in who said it wasn't damp, it was something in the chimney which reacts with the plaster. We have had it replastered twice but the same happens. I am about to have it replastered again but can't remember the type of plaster to use. I think they suggested an alkaline plaster to work against the salts in the chimney. Would this be right or is there some other base to use for the plaster? I know nothing about plaster.

Sponsored Links
I'd coat it with a SBR slurry. That should waterproof it and stop the whatever from bleeding through.

have you been getting white fur along with the bubbles?

have to admit to not hearing of this problem before, as far as i'm aware for anything to penetrate the brickwork and cause problems on the other side it would need moisture to make it's way through

if they say it's not damp then i'm assuming they mean not rising damp, did they put a damp meter on it?

alkaline plaster, maybe they mean a lime based plaster to allow breathing?

Sponsored Links
No fur, just little bubbles with slight discolouration. It's around the skirting board level to a height of 30cms at the tallest point. It doesn't feel damp. The house is 100 years old. Perhaps it was lime plaster, I couldn't remember. They did use a damp meter as I asked them to look at several areas in the house. Definitely said there was no damp.

Does a boiler vent up the chimney?

quite probably efflorescence, salts trying to get out, caused by the water in the plaster, re-plastering in the same fashion will only do the same if there are salts present in the substrate.

if there is no damp now then that's a good thing, i assume the bubbles are getting no worse then?

is it just the skim coat blown/bubbled? does the float/undercoat seem sound?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back