Plaster is Bubbling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a small section of wall replastered after taking off a border. To my horror the plaster bubbled when it dried and flaked off. My plasterer says its a reaction to fresh wipeable paint i had painted above and below the new plaster...is this right and if so what on earth do I do??? Thanks for any guidance :p

Sponsored Links
Probably didn't key the plaster onto the surface properlry. That's the worst of having small surface patches done. I know it sound a bit drastic, but you're often better of having the whole wall skimmed, rather than mess about trying to patch along the wall, where a border etc has been. It's just as quick skimming a whole wall, plus you don't see any patches/different textures

He did the whole pva thing he says its the paint that is causing the problem....is this possible??

Sponsored Links
i had painted around the border before it was plastered and then decided to plaster it so a couple of days?

it is possible you sealed in some moisture which has caused the PVA to re-liven and the plaster break away from it.

the plasterer came back repvad the whole wall then skimmed the wall for no extra charge but still the area where the fresh paint is doing the same thing.

Probably didn't key the plaster onto the surface properlry. /different textures
i agree here, somtimes i dont think pva is enough on these new paints its best to use a bonding agent like blue grit or wba, the plasterer is right in a way it is the paint but he should have prepped it properly and there for cant blame the paint but blame himself for his bad prep.

the plasterer came back repvad the whole wall then skimmed the wall for no extra charge but still the area where the fresh paint is doing the same thing.
i would have took that bit off the wall b4 reskimming as i dont think its on the wall properly, then i would cover the whole wall in blue grit and then reskim

to be fair I am not having a dig at the plasterer he is my friends brother inlaw and only charged me £20....I rang in a panic said I need this bit of border damage replastered I did not want whole wall and I think he assumed I was decorating after not before so he would not have known the paint was brand new....I was just asking for future reference if new wipeable paint could cause a reaction with plaster...he reads this forum....am hoping he doesnt take offence :unsure:

....I was just asking for future reference if new wipeable paint could cause a reaction with plaster|
any paint that is not prepped properly is bad for plaster, more often than not these new paints that just skin up and sit there on the wall and can be peeled off like peeling an orange, need more than just pvaing, they need a good key

wipeable paint could cause a reaction with plaster
YES m8 its a **** to skim over
like tring to skim over gloss LOL :rolleyes:

hade the same **** happen when i skimmed a box room nasty stuff :mad:
i now scrore the walls with a stan blade all over criss cross cut it too **** brush off the bits then two coats of really strong pva or a coat of bont it
skim the next morning :cool:

i skimmed 2 rooms for a m8 he said he was use the wipe offpaint so i mess coated the walls 3 times just so i know the plaster will be ok
covering my arse ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back