HELP ELECTRIC LIGHT FITTING!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know a way of (safely) identifying the 'switch live' balc cable running out of a ceiling light fitting? I have mixed the 3 black wires up!!!

Sponsored Links
put choc blocks on each single black and put a proximity voltage detector near each one in turn operate switch then when tester goes on / off as switch does you have found it

But if you do this, the lives have to be connected together.

Here's a voltage free way.

Turn off power.

Separate all conductors

put a meter across the red/black pairs, set to continuity or buzz.

Put switch in on position.

When the meter buzzes, you've got the right pair.

Double check by switching on / off.

Label switchwire!!!!!!

you are assuming the poster has a meter, if they did they would know how to use it and should have figured that one out by now.

although you have one, i have several this is after all a diy forum and most diy people do not consider a multi meter as an "average tool"

Sponsored Links
It's that old arguement that I have seen many times b4 breezer!

Posters have said that meters are cheap and freely available and if you're mucking about with wiring, it pays to acquaint yourself with one........I'm of this school of thought.

For around 10 - 15 quid you can get a basic multimeter from a DIY shed and anyone with basic DIY skills should be able to work out via the instructions how to carry out the basic tests.

If they are not confident doing this, then they should leave electrics alone, no?

You can do it without a meter with battery, bulb and bit of bellwire, but I s'pose you're going to tell me that they won't know how to do that, either!

securespark said:
..Posters have said that meters are cheap and freely available and if you're mucking about with wiring, it pays to acquaint yourself with one........I'm of this school of thought...

:D :D :D

securespark said:
If they are not confident doing this, then they should leave electrics alone, no?

You can do it without a meter with battery, bulb and bit of bellwire, but I s'pose you're going to tell me that they won't know how to do that, either!

on the contrary i agree entirly with you. right tool for right job, its just that some people do diy and some DIY.

for example do you buy a circular saw because it is the right tool, or becasue you are too lazy to cut by hand?

then do they use all the right personal protective equipment with the saw, see what i am saying?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back