Help! Euro cylinder stuck (with key inside) and struggling to remove gearbox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate some help with my UVPC door.

Key is stuck in Euro cylinder. Euro cylinder is stuck in the gearbox. Cant seem to remove the gearbox from the door.

Any bright ideas of how to solve?? Thanks!

See attached images for detail

Attachments

• 25DC577F-4F7A-4C11-80F1-0B66DB5D3730.jpeg
    25DC577F-4F7A-4C11-80F1-0B66DB5D3730.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 43
  • 2A0738A5-0377-4EEB-BF93-BA5BC2EE80B7.jpeg
    2A0738A5-0377-4EEB-BF93-BA5BC2EE80B7.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
Guessing screw for the barrel is removed as lock face is removed ( maybe a small Allen key that lock faceplate doesn't interfere with ). If that's removed , have you turned the key to about 10deg to move the center lug central which enables the barrel to pull out

Guessing screw for the barrel is removed as lock face is removed ( maybe a small Allen key that lock faceplate doesn't interfere with ). If that's removed , have you turned the key to about 10deg to move the center lug central which enables the barrel to pull out
Thanks! Screw is removed. What do you mean about the Allen key? To insert it somewhere? I’ve tried turning the key to different degrees but no luck so far

No the Allen key is instead of the screw on some older doors. So your key turns in the door? Can you see the ' lug ' in the centre of the barrel move at all when you turn the key , either looking down the barrel where you put the key in or where you've removed the faceplate

Sponsored Links
I recently had to remove a very old Banham cylinder (last week) to repaint the door. I removed the large slotted screw that holds the euro cylinder in place. I put the key in the cylinder to move the retaining lug. It took a few minutes to jiggle the key and eventually pull the cylinder towards me. I had to twist the key to about 1pm. The next day, knowing the requite angle made things much easier and quicker.

No the Allen key is instead of the screw on some older doors. So your key turns in the door? Can you see the ' lug ' in the centre of the barrel move at all when you turn the key , either looking down the barrel where you put the key in or where you've removed the faceplate
Thanks. I can’t unfortunately. The key only moves anti-clockwise and only a few degrees

I recently had to remove a very old Banham cylinder (last week) to repaint the door. I removed the large slotted screw that holds the euro cylinder in place. I put the key in the cylinder to move the retaining lug. It took a few minutes to jiggle the key and eventually pull the cylinder towards me. I had to twist the key to about 1pm. The next day, knowing the requite angle made things much easier and quicker.
Thank you. I can only move the key a few degrees clockwise anticlockwise unfortunately

Right so the barrel is jammed , two ways to do it... drill out the ' lug' ( a pain to do ) , or snap the barrel

Snap the barrel and don't forget to remove the handle spindle too otherwise the gearbox still won't come out

Thought it would end up in snapping the barrel. Cheers.

Right so the barrel is jammed , two ways to do it... drill out the ' lug' ( a pain to do ) , or snap the barrel
Tried to snap. Now left with part of the barrel in the door (it was only 1 star so hoped it wasn’t fully anti snap). I guess the only option left is to drill through?

Attachments

• 0CC7E462-69A5-4DE4-8389-64C7E0B3DFF0.jpeg
    0CC7E462-69A5-4DE4-8389-64C7E0B3DFF0.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 12
Was there a notch on both sides of the barrel for the anti snap? If only one side ( should be exterior side ), then youbmaybbe able to snap it from the other side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back