Help filling a hole please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

I have been helping my mum prep her stairwell for re-decorating. She had a large swelling on a wall that we knew was a problem and was one of the reasons for stripping everything right back. The swelling has been there since she moved in (14 yrs) and has not become any worse in that time so we are not sure what has caused it; we just know it was remedied at some point.

I have removed everything that was obviously loose and obviously dodgy and this is what it looks like;

The brick to the left is the external wall - there was a door put in many years ago.

The vertical wooden beam is the back of the bathroom stud wall.

There is a slight gap between the two.

My question is,

How am i best to fill the gap / finish the wall?!

Please also see these pictures for a view from each side.

Thank you in advance for any advice given!

Cheers,
Ewan

Sponsored Links
There are number of options.
Possibly best for you would be to.
*Clear all loose/flaky materials from area.
*Purchase a bag of one coat plaster
*Apply this to the area
*Feed in to any voids behind plaster
*Then float off till flat and smooth
*Follow the manufacturers instruction on the bag
*If the depth is substantial, even though one coat, it may need two
*If so apply send coat as the first coat is just about setting but still damp and key the first coat.

Other option would be fill hole/void with browning, leave a slight recess of 3mm between browning and finished wall level, then use multi-finish to plaster finish wall.

As you only need one product with one coat, this is likely to be the least expensive material wise. And it can be sanded if you error.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back