Help ! I can't find the answers !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anybody help me ? I have a Glow worm 50e fitted in my house about 12 years old. I have just moved in and was told by the previous occupier that the central heating has never ( or at least 6years) been serviced ! I was told by a Plumber to put x800 into the system then flush out until clear water ! then put in x100 and let it run with this until i can afford a service from a professional !
Today i have bought both the x800 and x100 so looking a this site i now know to put the x800 in at the upstairs rad ( other side of the bleed tap) WHAT i'm NOT SURE ABOUT IS: I can't see a filling loop on the boiler !! is it surrpossed to have one ?? or dose it fill auotmaticaly ? it's just a boiler not a combi.
I would like to be fully prepared, squared and leveled before attempting this and well fore armed and all that ! Many Thanks Scott

Sponsored Links
Central heating systems shouldn't need 'servicing'. Properly installed with correct inhibitor added they need no maintenance, apart from odd repair when things wear out, e.g. pump or motorised valve. The Boiler however should have an annual service by a RGI, this ensures appliance is safe to use and is working efficiently. :D

Why do you need to put X800 in the system? Is there a problem with sludge? X800 is better used in conjunction with a powerflushing machine, i'd chuck X400 in if the system is a bit mucky.

Check the loft, do you have 2 water tanks? One large tank, this supplies hot water cylinder, and a smaller tank? Small tank is feed and expansion tank, fills/tops up central heating system and allows room for water to expand when heating is running. (No filling loop is needed!)

Thank's for the info i will check the loft. I have one rad down stairs (kitchen) that is not working when valve is open ! also i'm in the middle of fitting new bathroom and when I took off the old rad lots of black water came out ! I have a new rad for the bathroom (this is upstairs)

As i'm starting to do the house from upstairs down, it would be nice not to return later to clear any blockages etc !

Sponsored Links
One rad not working could easily be air locked pipework, stuck valve, balancing problem, not necessarily sludge. I'd have a look at the Sentinel site before going mad with the chemicals: http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/product/listing/central-heating/liquids/

If you clean the system out, then you'll need some X100 in it otherwise it'll be back to black (sludge) again before too long. Get the boiler serviced as well if it hasn't been done, it's a small price for safety and peace of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back