Treating and flushing system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to treat my system with Sentinel Ferroquest/X800 and then x100 inhibitor. I have a few questions that I hope you wise people can help with:

1) With the concentrate gel version, this can just inject into a rad (I believe an upstairs one is suggested) in the side opposite the bleed valve - and I also believe the system doesn't need any draining before this is put in. Is this correct?

2) The system should be run in normal conditions for at least an hour.

3) The system should be empied out - I assume this is open the bleed valves on the rads and out the drain cock into an outside drain.

4) To flush, do I simply leave the valves open, and allow fresh water in through the filling loop until it's running clear?

5) Do I need to drain the actual boiler at all or is this not required?

6) I believe the inhibitor is just put into the empty system, and then it's filled back to correct pressure.

Thanks for your assistance.

Graham

Sponsored Links
1) Turn one rad off both ends and drain some water out of it first.

2) Correct, if your boiler has an aluminimum HE then DO NOT exceed 3 hours.

3) No need. Identify whether your drain cock is on the flow or return, if on flow then shut boiler ch flow isolating valve and let filling loop open and flush through until clear out of drain. If on return then vice versa.

Turn off all rads except one when doing this, when water runs clear, turn that rad off and open next one and so on.

4) See above

5) No need, when all rads have been flushed clear open both boiler isolating valves and let water flush it clean.

6) Again drain one rad and add inhibitor to this. Open rad valves and let circulate to mix.

Much appreciated Dave.

With "3) No need. Identify whether your drain cock is on the flow or return" I assume it's just a case of turning the heating on and seeing which side gets hot first?

Thanks
Graham

Ferroquest can be quite agressive so make sure you get it all out . Make sure you drain/flush it from each drop to downstairs rads

Sponsored Links
Gham said:
Much appreciated Dave.

With "3) No need. Identify whether your drain cock is on the flow or return" I assume it's just a case of turning the heating on and seeing which side gets hot first?

Thanks
Graham

Yes

Thanks again for all help.

"Make sure you drain/flush it from each drop to downstairs rads"

I assume the method given above will do this?

Thanks
Graham

Thanks for all your assistance. In case anyone else is going to try this I thought I'd follow up what I'd done...

First attempt at putting Fernox F3 into the rad, I failed to release enough pressure from the system and when administering the Fernox, the back end of the cartridge virtually exploded on me, £23 down the drain. Next day I drained the system down and put into an upstairs rad, refilled and ran the sytsem. That's where I'm currently at. Lesson learnt!

Thanks
Graham

Rather than mess it up yourself you should have called a professional to do it for you.

I would recommend about 2-3 hours if the boiler does not have an aluminium heat exchanger.

Drain, refill, run a few minutes then drain again to help get all the X800 out.

Tony

Hi Agile,

maybe so but had I just gone with the 'Ariston recommended' guy I would be £550 notes lighter, by all accounts for a powerflush that I didn't need!

Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back