Best way of cleaning CH System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently installed a new rad and was going to add some inhibitor in the system when I realised the water was very dirty with particles in it.

Although everything seems to work ok, I want the system to be set up right to limit the possibility of issues in the future.

The products I have are Sentinel X100 Inhibitor and Sentinel X400 Cleaner. The process I was thinking of following is:
  • Partially drain system from downstairs through drain off valve then open a towel rad upstairs and add Sentinel X400 - then run the system for a week.
  • Drain system as much as possible. Then with the drain off open I could open the filling loop to force any crud out the system? Would this work?
  • Close all valves, refill system and add Sentinel X100 Inhibitor
How does this sound? Ive added images showing the tank upstairs which also has the filling loop. (The boiler is downstairs, Potterton Promax HE)

I'm a DIYer and have limited experience with plumbing so any advice is much appreciated :)

untitled.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Partially drained and added x400 then refilled.

Still open to any advice please

A couple of fills and flushes before adding the x100. If you have the time and ability, before the final fill, take off each rad, take them outside, half fill them, give them a good shake, rinse, repeat and flush through with a hose.

A couple of fills and flushes before adding the x100. If you have the time and ability, before the final fill, take off each rad, take them outside, half fill them, give them a good shake, rinse, repeat and flush through with a hose.

Thanks for your response, sounds like a good idea.

Only thing im not sure about is you mentioned "a couple of fills and flushes" by flushing do you mean open the drain off and let it drain? or do you mean open the drain off and then open the filling loop so that water is pushed out at pressure?

Sorry if this is obvious!

Sponsored Links
Yeah, just fill it up, bleed, run it with all rads open for a couple of minutes, drain and then refill and repeat. If you try to flush using the filling loop, you’ll only flush water through the quickest route from the filling loop to the drain point and it won’t go anywhere near the rads/pipes or rest of the system etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back