Help I'm Frustrated!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have had some advice kindly sent to me but am really struggling to interpret it and need some really basic shove that in there advice!

I am trying to replace a ceiling light...

From ceiling there is:- 2xRed wires together (live presumably?), a black wire with Red band around (which I think also means live?), 2xBlack wires together and then the green and yellow (which I guess is earth).

From the light I am trying to put up there is one blue, one brown and green.

Any help will be greatfully recieved as I need urgent light in our dining room!!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi
I have had some advice kindly sent to me but am really struggling to interpret it and need some really basic shove that in there advice!

I am trying to replace a ceiling light...

From ceiling there is:- 2xRed wires together (live presumably?), a black wire with Red band around (which I think also means live?), 2xBlack wires together and then the green and yellow (which I guess is earth).

From the light I am trying to put up there is one blue, one brown and green.

Any help will be greatfully recieved as I need urgent light in our dining room!!!

Thanks

sounds like thats at the end of the lights ring..

1 red is perm live other is live to switch, the black with red band is live (or not) return from switch. 2 blacks are common netural. green/yellow earth.

brown goes to black with red band, blue to common netrual, earth to green/yellow. reds have to stay joined.

Brown to black with red sleeving.
Blue to two blacks.
Green to green/yellow.

Use suitable connector blocks.

Sponsored Links
Something wrong with count. Every red should have a black and you have one more black than red?

The black with red sleeve will go to brown on new lamp
The other two blacks will go to blue on new lamp
And earths green/yellow all connect together
The two reds just connect together (called loop wires) but I would have expected three reds may be this is your problem?

Something wrong with count. Every red should have a black and you have one more black than red?

The black with red sleeve will go to brown on new lamp
The other two blacks will go to blue on new lamp
And earths green/yellow all connect together
The two reds just connect together (called loop wires) but I would have expected three reds may be this is your problem?

hmm indeed, i just guessed it was two reds becasue it was end of ring... wouldnt explain 2 netruals tho..

unless the one red missing is the live to the switch, which is why the lights being replaced as thought it was dead.

You are right I have 3 reds not 2... They were twisted together which is 3 why I thought there was only 2.

When I do as described I am left with the 3 reds (twisted together presently) without anywheree to plug them in. The light does turn on when I switch the fuse, but the light switch, which is a dimmer, does not do anything??? What should I do with the 3 reds?

Thanks again...Being a pain, but getting there!

Connect the 3 reds together with a choc bloc or crimp & either push up into the ceiling or ensure that it cannot short to anything in the fitting. Try temporarily swopping your dimmer for a normal switch & see if the circuit (lamp) operates correctly. Sounds like you may have a duff dimmer if you have connected everything properly.

Put them in a connector block out of harms way.

The ceiling rose is a junction box and lamp connector combined. British lights would have the extra terminal for the reds marked loop. But with grey imports i.e. not really designed for British market this is often missed.

With limited room saying exactly how to deal with the reds is hard as it varies from lamp to lamp. But they to not connect to local lamp.

Many thanks again to you both. I will do as you advise. I take it the dimmer should just work.... Maybe its this new light as it worked on the old one. Bet the new light is an import - Laura Ashley apparently!! Ha ha.

Thanks again you have been great. Although I may pick your brains again, but at least I can get the room lit up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back