Wall Light's

R0b

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have recently moved in to a new house and have moved on to the hall where i need to tackle my 1st electric job!!! There is 2 wall mounted lights in the hall with a plug coming out the wall at the bottom to plug in and power them, I want to do the job properly. at the moment there is a double light switch (1 for the hall light and 1 for the landing light) for the landing light switch there is a red,blue and a yellow wire for the hall light there is 2 x red wire's. There is also a wall socket with 2xRed and 2xBlack wires, am i able to use any of this to pull power from to the light's and switch? if so please let me know. Thank's Rob

Sponsored Links
To power a light you will need live and neutral connections. The light switch only has live connections and no neutral.

That's why he says you cant do what you are thinking of doing in the way that you want to do it.

Sponsored Links
ROb

taylorwocities is right, i was in a rush at the time.

see the sticky section or the wiki of this forum to see how it is done, and therefore why you cant do it from the switch.

look at 2 way switching, its your switch.

now you know why the previous owners put a plug on it

Hang on. He says there is a "double light switch" and "there is also a wall socket".

If this nomenclature is correct, then he could have a socket switched from the 2G switch.....

Pictures, please!!

we know there is a wall socket, its where the previous people plugged the light into.

the op seems to be asking can he feed it from the existing light switch. to which the answer is no

even fitting an fcu from the socket you would still need a separte switch

Right so the switch is a no go, but i could do it from the plug socket? and add a 3rd switch next to the other 2 switches?

yes.
but you have to install an FCU to the socket and the new switch must be nothing to do with the current switch, other than next to it.

you could even fit a switched FCU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back