Problem with double light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
help needed with light switches. Before I go any further I'd just like to state I am a complete novice and wouldn't normally attempt to do anything with mains electricity.
Anyway, problem in hand is this. My mother's house was built around WW2 and to my knowledge hasn't been re-wired since. We have a hall by the front door with has a light in, with a double switch. This double switch controls the hall light and also the first floor landing light.
She has recently re-decorated the hall and first floor landing, swapping the double hallway switch. In doing so she, unfortunately made no note of the wire layout or took any pictures of it. Surprise surprise both the hall and first floor landing light no longer work.
I've had a tinker and had both lights working, but not together. I am faced with the following wires:
In the hall double switch there are 2 red and 2 black wires and the earths. It seems that 1 red and 1 black wire belongs to the first floor lighting, and the other red and black switch belong to the ground floor hall light. There are no other wires in the box for the lights.
In the upstairs lighting box (un-touched) there are 2 red wires and 1 black.
In the rear of the new (double switch) in the hall there are 6 ports in total, split in 2, at the top of the switch are 2 terminals with 'C' on. Below these terminals are 4 further terminals. 2 connected to either 'C' terminal. These then have L1 and L2 above them.
Has my mother bought the right double switch box? What can I do to fix? I currently have the first floor landing light working, but not the ground floor hall.

Please help an exasperated son!!!
Rich

Sponsored Links
Red and Black go to L1 and L2 in the upstairs switch?

Is there a single red in the common of the upstairs switch?

Assuming power is OFF.

You need a multimeter to test continuity.

Once you have ID'd the cable linking the upstairs and downstairs switch boxes, proceed as follows.

Attach to red/black strappers (the cable connected to L12/L2 at the upstairs switch position) in the downstairs box to the L1/L2 for the landing lt.

Attach the black of the remaining T&E in the hall switch box to L1 of the other set of terminals.

The red of this cable goes to both common terminals, using a link.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back