Help to Wire Double Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m hoping someone can give me some guidance to wire a double light switch. I was swapping it over and I’ve ended up unable to turn the downstairs hall light off from the upstairs landing switch.

The double light switch is used for the downstairs hall light and an external light. There is a separate light switch downstairs which is used to control the upstairs landing light.

In the downstairs switch I have:

4 cables

3 lighting circuit (external light, hall light and the other continues the circuit to the front room)

1 three core and earth

1 small wire connecting COM

4 neutrals – in terminal

I’ve checked the upstairs switch and it is wired as follows: brown – COM, black (sleeve) - L1, grey (sleeve) - L2

The double switch downstairs has 2 x COM, L1, L2

Can anyone tell me how to wire this correctly?

Sponsored Links
I’ve ended up unable to turn the downstairs hall light off from the upstairs landing switch.
Did you used to be able to?

That would be quite unusual and from what you write if I understand correctly - impossible.

I’ve checked the upstairs switch and it is wired as follows: brown – COM, black (sleeve) - L1, grey (sleeve) - L2.
Is there only one switch upstairs?

Yes it used to work fine.

There's a double switch upstairs which controls the hall and landing lights. This hasn't been changed.

Ok.

Make sure you have replaced the downstairs switch with the same colours in the same terminals.

I’ve checked the upstairs switch and it is wired as follows: brown – COM, black (sleeve) - L1, grey (sleeve) - L2

Sponsored Links
You do not seem to have enough wires, so -

I think we will need pictures of all the switches so we can see which wire goes where.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back