Swapping 1 light socket for another.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just decorated the hall so renewing light switches and sockets.

The downstairs hall is a 2 switch controlling the downstairs lights and upstairs landing. The landing is a triple controlling downstairs, upstairs landing and loft. I've already swapped this with no bother. Like for like.

The problem I have is the double is not like for like. The old one has obvious wiring for each side. Each has 2 L1s and 2 L2s! The new one has an L1, L2 and Com for each switch.

What to do?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you've bought the wrong switch.

Is there another switch (perhaps by the front door) that controls your downstairs light?
If so, you want a switch like this

Different manufacturers have different methods of labelling. Com, L1, L2 is the norm but L1, L2, L3 is also used. If we consider a switch has up to 4 terminals.
2 Terminal = on/off
3 Terminal = either/or (ie two way)
4 Terminal can either be double pole or intermediate (cross over).
So with 4 terminals yes there can be an problem but with 3 terminal there is very little chance that it's not a change over switch. Personally I use the multi-meter to work out what terminal does what.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately not everybody makes 2 gang intermediate switches so you might struggle to get one to match the rest.

You might have to go with a grid arrangement

Unfortunately not everybody makes 2 gang intermediate switches so you might struggle to get one to match the rest.

You might have to go with a grid arrangement
One of the few listed on google matched.

Must be lucky.

:)

Are there some more switches for the hall and landing you haven't told us about?

With just two switches wach for hall and landing it seems odd there are two intermediates.

Which makes me think there's more switches somewhere, or a double intermediate (most likely to be in grid) has been used when there wasn't any need.

Send pictures if you can please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back