Light socket wiring - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Purchased a new double light switch for bottom of the stairs.

Original double light switch controls living room light and two upstairs landing lights. Unscrewed old switch plate and there are 5 wires connected to it which are;

black with red sleeve connected to WAV L1
red wire connected to COM
red wire connected to another COM
yellow wire with red sleeve connected to L2
blue wire with red sleeve into L1.

Problem is, on the new double light switch there are only 4 connections, labeled L1 and L, another L1 and L and two L2's however these L2 holes are blocked off and seemingly cannot be used.

Can this be done or have I purchased the wrong light switch?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you have got the wrong switch.

You need to buy a 2-way switch as opposed to a 1-way which you have got.

If it makes any difference, the two lights upstairs are not independent, they both turn on and off together with one switch, the other switch controls the downstairs light.

But I thought what I purchased is two way...

rh1jbd.jpg

Model: JW Black Hawk (2 Gangs and 1 way)

Gangs: 2 (you can control two light fittings) 500 Watts each

Switch Type: Germanic snap switch

Sponsored Links
If you get 2 gang, 2 way, you'll cover all scenarios in this situation.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You're correct. I can only assume they've uploaded the same picture as they look the same at the front. I would contact the seller and verify you want a 2 gang, 2 way.

One last question regarding my kitchen switch. Light fitting has L1, L and L2. Wires are yellow, black with red sleeve and red.

What goes where?

Red with black sleeve went into L1.
L2 unused.
Red went into L3.
Yellow went to a separate port on the plug, not attached to the gangs.

from the description on the E-Bay listing
More durable than normal mechanical switches
and the mention of "germanic switching" I wonder if these are solid state switches making them un-suitable for switching LED and other energy efficient lamps. ( unless a snubber is fitted to the lamps )

Keep the old switch just in case. The symptoms are CFLs flashing every few seconds when turned off or LEDs glowing dimly when switched OFF

One last question regarding my kitchen switch. Light fitting has L1, L and L2. Wires are yellow, black with red sleeve and red.

What goes where?
Pixii - P L E A S E learn how lighting circuits work, how 2-way switching works etc before you start fiddling with it.

You need to actually understand what you are doing, not just blindly follow instructions to put this wire in that hole without a clue as to why.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back