Hall / Landing light switches - wiring confusion!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
bit confused here - took a light switch off to decorate, not sure about wiring it back up - have looked at stickys but don't see what i'm looking for.

i have hall (downstairs) and landing (upstairs) lights - there is a double switch upstairs controlling up and downstairs lights - there is a double switch downstairs controlling up and downstairs lights (hope that makes sense!)

i removed the UPSTAIRS switch - i didn't note the wiring order properly

when i replaced the switch, the upstairs switch works for upstairs and downstairs, but the downstairs switch doesn't work at all - i haven't changed anything downstairs!

anyway, the wiring is as follows:

[code:1]
Downstairs Light
| | |
Br E Blue
| | |
[ connector block ]
| | |
R E BL
| | |
| | |

Downstairs light switch - double switch controls upstairs and downstairs

| | |
Blue Y R
| | |
L1 L2 Common

Common L1 L2
| |\ |\
| | \ | \
| | \ | \
| | | | |
R Y R BL Blue
| | | | |
[/code:1]

Upstairs Light
| | |
Br Blue E
| | |
[ connector block ]
| / \ | |
BL R R BL E
| | | | |
| | | | |

Upstairs light switch - double switch controls upstairs and downstairs

| | |
? ? ?
| | |
L1 L2 Common

Common L1 L2
| |\ |\
| | \ | \
| | \ | \
| | | | |
? ? ? ? ?
| | | | |

i have the same wires for the upstairs switch as i have for the downstairs switch - just not sure if they should be wired the same way or differently

please can someone fill in the blanks?
thanks!

Sponsored Links
yes, same as the other one, one thw switch that has two wires in L1 and L2 terminals, make sure you get the reds the right way around, the one that goes to common is the one that comes out of the same sheath as the blue and yellow

Oh, and the 3c&e (red, yellow, blue and earth) that goes to the switch with two wires in L1 and L2 should be the one that goes into the switch on its own at the other end, if that makes sense?

Also be aware that you potentially have two separate circuits in each of those switches, so switch off both upstairs and downstairs lighting breakers before doing any work

Thanks - not quite there ....

I now have upstairs and downstairs wired the same as follows:

| | |
Blue Y R
| | |
L1 L2 Common

Common L1 L2
| |\ |\
| | \ | \
| | \ | \
| | | | |
R Y R BL Blue
| | | | |

The switches partly work:
- the upstairs switch for the downstairs light works fine
- the upstars switch for the upstairs light only works if the downstairs light is on
- the downstairs switch for the downstairs light does not work at all
- the downstairs switch for the upstairs light works fine

any clue which upstairs wires need changing? only the upstairs switch wiring has been changed ......

Sponsored Links
Can you provide a couple of photographs of the wires in the switches?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back