Another Hall/Landing Light Switch Problem (Photos added)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm replacing old double light switches with new. The hall switches work fine for both lights. However, the landing switch doesn't work. I have no light fitting in the bathroom yet but there is power when the switch is on.

I have wired as follows:

Hall switch:
Cable 1 - Red to common and red to 2nd common, Black to 1 way
Cable 2 - Red to 1 way, Black to 2 way

Landing switch:
Cable 1 - Red to common, black to 1 way (tried 2 way aswell)
Cable 2 - Red to same common as cable 1, Black cut and unused
Cable 3 - Red to 2nd common, Black to 1 way

Can anyone advise where I have gone wrong please? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Take a photo please.

You should not have red, red and black in one cable!

im guessing the duplicate red in the first switch is just a live link, and not a core from the cable in itself

Hi, I'm replacing old double light switches with new. The hall switches work fine for both lights. However, the landing switch doesn't work. I have no light fitting in the bathroom yet but there is power when the switch is on.

I have wired as follows:

Hall switch:
Cable 2 - Red to 1 way, Black to 2 way

Landing switch:
Cable 1 - Red to common, black to 1 way (tried 2 way aswell)
Cable 2 - Red to same common as cable 1, Black cut and unused
Cable 3 - Red to 2nd common, Black to 1 way

Can anyone advise where I have gone wrong please? :confused:

Did we photograph/ document what wires went to which terminals on the old switch?

Not all switches are labelled or laid out the same.

Some have COM, L1 L2
some L1 L2 L3
some A1 A2 A3

plus other more confusing variants.

Sponsored Links
Why did you decide to wire the new landing switch differently to the old one?

im guessing the duplicate red in the first switch is just a live link, and not a core from the cable in itself

He wrote:

so I assumed the 2 reds and black were part of cable 1.

I very often find the cpc used as a live conductor in lighting switch drops... :eek:

1959:

What you will need to do now is ID the strappers: the wires that link the L1 & L2 of the downstairs LANDING SWITCH to the L1 & L2 of the upstairs LANDING SWITCH.

These will most likely be a red and black within the same sheath.

You have three reds at the upstairs switch and 2 blacks. Are there, as you suggest, 3 twin and earth cables present, with one (black) core cut back?

Or are there 2 T&E's and one single?

Either way, one T&E will be strappers, the other for the bathroom and the single or the remaining T&E (with one core disused) will be the common to the landing switch.

If there is a disused core, best practice dictates it is connected to earth.

EDIT: Having looked again at the photo of the new landing switch, it looks like one of the reds in the common terminal on the LH switch is either single or from a T&E with the other cut back. If this is right, AND the bathroom light does work on the RH switch, what you need to do is remove the other red in that terminal that currently has 2 reds in to the remaining lower terminal on that side (ie L1 or L2).

A big thank you Securespark! took your advice today and worked a treat :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back