2 gang 2 way dimmer, no common connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've hunted for the answer for a while but none of the posts seem to have the exact combination of wires/connectors that mine has.

I have a double switch in the hall (2 gang?) one switch controls the downstairs hall light, one controls the upstairs hall light. There is also a single switch at he other end of the hall that also controls the downstairs light. The double switch has the following connections:

4 grey cables

switch 1
1 red into "1 Way"
1 black into "2 Way"
1 red into "Common"

switch 2
1 red into "1 Way"
1 black into "2 Way"
1 red into "Common"

4 x earth into earth connector of socket box

2x black connected into seperate terminal block

My dimmers only have 2 x L1 and 2 x L2 terminals, I am at a loss as to which wires go where, can anybody give me some advice?:eek:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your dimmers do not have ~ symbol instead of common then I would guess you have a 2-gang 1-way dimmer, which you cannot use, take it back & change it for a 2-gang 2-way unit

For any switch (incl dimmer) to work one-way it has one common (C or sometimes~) and one way(L1).
Two way switches have Common + L1 & L2.
These can also be L1 (Common) + L2 & L3. Just to add to the confusion.

So it looks like you have a one-way dimmer instead of a two-way, although I was under the impression that dimmers usually come as two-way as standard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back