Double 2-way light switches - the new Sudoku?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve had a look at the old posts, plus the diagram thread so apologies if this specific query has already been covered.

I’ve got a problem with a landing/hall double light switch. I have tried to exchange an old double light switch for a modern double two way switch and have ended up with a system where the landing light only comes on if the hall light is also on.

I have a common set-up in that I have one hall light and one landing light. The hall light is controlled by the hall switch (double) only. The landing light is controlled by both the landing switch (single) and the other half of the hall switch (double).

I removed the old plate and thought that I’d coupled it up correctly – except that I haven’t because the landing light only works when the hall light is on. I have red wires into both the L1s (which I thought were the live wires from the original plate). I have a black wire going into L2 on the landing light half of the switch. I have a red common going into the COMM on the landing light half of the switch. And I have a red wire linking the two COMM sockets. All these are assumptions based on the positions of the wires from the old plate. The landing switch has not been altered in any way.

I get the feeling that I’m one wrong connection away from a correct set-up. However I also have a lingering doubt that perhaps I can’t run a one way and a two way from a double two way light switch?

Any solutions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
get the feeling that I’m one wrong connection away from a correct set-up.
Or possibly two, depending on how you look at it.

Swap the red going to the coms with the red going to L1 on the hall switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back