Help: Johnstone's Acrylic Durable Eggshell Trade paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had Johnstone's Acrylic Satin paint before and have painted all the wood work in my house with, previously using mid grey and a light green colour, it was great to work with. This week I used Leyland Acrylic white and it was a very thick consistency so I watered it down a little and it has gone on fine also on ceilings and walls.

Yesterday, I bought some Johnstone's Acrylic Durable Eggshell and had it tinted a deep red - it used a Z base if that makes any difference. On opening it, the first thing I noticed is that it is pretty water - more than even Dulux retail matt paint, but I have used red paint Dulux and Crown paints before which were also pretty watery, so put it down to that. I have tried to paint with it on a small area of the kitchen which will not be seen much and it just doesn't seem right. I tried to cut in thinner from the ceiling because of running paint then used a roller as usual to paint. But when I look about 10 minutes later, I am getting runs from the cutting in and the paint doesn't even look like it is beginning to dry.

Edit: The paint says use above 10c and it much warmer than that in the room.

Is this all usual for red paint? Is there something I should do different? It looks like I have a choice between pooling paint or painting on 4+ very thin coats.

Before starting, I scrubbed down the old matt Dulux Kitchen paint. Sugar soaped the walls and cleaned off all the grime and thoroughly rinsed the sugar soap. Allowed to dry and painted an undercoat of leyland acrylic eggshell which I had left over from painting the ceiling, allowing drying time cleaning and painting. The Leyland Acrylic has been on the wall for 2 days and shows no signs of coming off in test areas.

Sponsored Links
If it's running then you are putting it on too thick. It's probably not drying as your house is too humid. Let some cold air in. (Warm air becomes saturated by water vapour).

The windows are open a little. I have been putting it on a little thinner now, but it is going to take a minimum of three coats at the thickness I am having to use it. Is red paint usually much thinner?

Red is known to be awkward as far as paint goes. The problem is (I think) if they include any sort of white base it turns pink, the base is pretty much clear and that makes coverage a problem.

Sponsored Links
Ah that would make sense. It did seem to thicken up in the tray and kettle after it had been poured a while. I got two nice smooth coats on to the other walls, but it will definitely need a third.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back