Help - Made an @rse of it

g

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have newly plastered walls in my living room and intend painting them with matt emusion. I painted one wall which looked good, but needed two coats and as the paint used is expensive I decided to use an undercoat on one of the walls. After painting another wall with the 'all purpose' undercoat I read the instructions on the tin - not suitable for use on large surface areas etc...... should be used on wood / metal. :eek:

Can I paint over it with matt emulsion?
Should I cut my losses and get the one wall re-skimmed?
Should I be allowed near a paint brush again?
Will the missus ever let me forget this?

All help appreciated.......

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
Well your the only one who knows what it looks like now, it may be fine left as it is. Painting over it won't do any harm and there is always wallpaper as a last resort. I would.nt consern yourself too much about the minor detail of instructions.

Hi speaking of the wife of a guy who has just replastered our front room and did an okay job, an excellent job for a first timer, your wife will never let you forget it!!Ever, women are like elephants - they never forget!!!

I think the only truble you may have is if the plaster hadn't had time to dry out. I have seen oil based paint peel where the plaster was new and full depth. Yours just a skim? Too late now, reskimming could even make it worse, if the skim starts lifting.

New plaster should be painted with porous paint. There are special ones, though non-vinyl matt emulsion is porous, if a bit hard to buy. When the plaster really is dry, the first coat is normally thinned quite a bit so it soaks in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies folks. Painted over it with a coat of emulsion and nothing too bad has happened - yet........ :p

StudentNurseSarah said:
women are like elephants - they never forget!!!

My wife is not happy that I called her an elephants - and she won't forget it !!! :oops: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back