assistance before using red matt emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some help with painting a newly skimmed wall with dulux red stallion matt emulsion.

The wall has already had two mist coats with dulux trade supermatt.

Looking around the web it seems that i should prime/undercoat the wall in grey primer for best results.

If so, what is the best primer to use?

Thanks

Ant

Sponsored Links
The reason ror this is red is perhaps one of the most difficult colours to cover and also to paint over, a grey background will accept the red far better than the white. However you dont have to undecoat the walls a simple grey emulsion would be fine.

Dec

thanks for that.

However, I have since got home from work and as a surprise my wife has painted the wall red so i didn't have to do it.

Should i just paint over it with the grey now?

Ant

No, if your happy with the finish it will be fine, only recoat if you think it needs it.

Dec

Sponsored Links
at the moment it looks quite patchy and the cutting in is obvious, but it is only just touch dry.

I will wait to see what it looks like tomorrow before deciding.

Is another coat of red likely to cover the darker looking sections where it has been dut in and the darker marks left by the roller?

I can promise you that you will have to paint it again, ;) It may even need a third, :cry: it should be fine then.

Dec

A little tip here regarding cutting in, when you do this the paint will be applied a lot heavier than what it would be with the roller, hence the darker image. In future when cutting in feather out the paint in a downward manor to a mere nothing, then when you apply your paint with your roller both surfaces will blend together and become of equal texture.

Dec

I've done a feature wall in my kitchen with a deep red, This needed 4 coats. As the Dec says its one of the most difficult colours to paint like orange and similar colours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back