Help needed.....External rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Newbie to the forum and have zero knowledge of rendering and plastering.

I was wondering if anyone out there can advise me on the standard of rendering I recently had done on the rear of my house. When the scaffolding was removed I went out get quotes from painter and decorators and they all mentioned that the finish was extremely poor. My builder disputes this and insists the standard is acceptable.

The white solution you can see on the render is a tanking solution that the builder applied to hide some dark patches that appeared at the bottom of the rendering.

Am I being unreasonable for wanting the render removed and re- done?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Sponsored Links
How long ago was it done? The revels are rough and need doing again, as for the rendering it should all be a uniform colour especially when it drys. You should't see any blemishes on finished render..Get a painter around and ask if him any of the background will show thru when he paints it. Maybe wise to ask a few painters the same question and see if there is a different opinion from them..

Thanks for the replies.

It was done last November. The scaffolding came off just before Christmas and it was first pointed out me in early January by the plasterer who was doing the inside of the house. The painters I spoke to initially said the background couldn't be hidden, that's when my builder applied the tanking solution to the worst bits. Since then another painter has said the texture of the tanking solution is very course and the texture will seem very rough when painted.

This has been rumbling on for 3-4 months now and the builder is insisting the render is acceptable and wants payment for the final amount. I am reluctant to pay and would rather use the money for another contractor to remove the render and do it properly.

Sponsored Links
thats a rough job dont pay him a penny more as roy says the reveals are all over the place high spots and low spots making it wavey holes ect also holes on the main wall with rough texture and hes slapped some tanking right in the middle? tell him he will be owing you money to put it right including labour for new plasterer and fresh materials not to mention the labour to take it off let us know what happens

Thanks for your input Steve.

Yes, there was a dark patch in the middle of the wall which was covered with tanking. There is also a much larger area at the bottom of the building not shown in the pictures. The builder has suggested covering the rendering with another product (see link) in order to reduce the cost in removing the render. I'm not convinced covering a bad job is the way to go but as I know nothing about rendering I am worried that he is going to try and push me towards this product as a solution. If anyone can advise me on this product it would be very much appreciated!

http://www.rbbuilders.be/download/CT34_EN.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for your input Steve.

Yes, there was a dark patch in the middle of the wall which was covered with tanking. There is also a much larger area at the bottom of the building not shown in the pictures. The builder has suggested covering the rendering with another product (see link) in order to reduce the cost in removing the render. I'm not convinced covering a bad job is the way to go but as I know nothing about rendering I am worried that he is going to try and push me towards this product as a solution. If anyone can advise me on this product it would be very much appreciated!

http://www.rbbuilders.be/download/CT34_EN.pdf
First time I've clapped eyes on this stuff looks like he's trying to snag make good the bad job with it I can't comment on it but I wouldn't let him go any further with the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back