Help needed with installing a Zinc roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have attached four photos of the roof which I intend to cover with zinc. I hope that this will give you an understanding of what I intend to do.

I do not have the machinery to cut and form the fold of the panels. I was informed by the zinc manufacture that there are companies which offer a service to pre cut full length panels and form the folds as well. I spoke to a roofer friend and he advised me to request a 38mm fold instead of a 25mm fold. This is because the roof which I am working on is a low slope flat roof and 38mm fold will stop any water ingress. Is this correct?

Could you tell me what brand of bitumen is used in between the seams to ensure that the seams remain water tight? This is something which I read but I can't seem to find out if its true or not.

I would also like to add that there is a roof light. I am finding it hard to compile a list of zinc parts for a roof light.

As you will see from the attached photos I have completed the roof to the breather membrane. All that remains is the zinc. Are there pre made zinc cover flashings or roof upstands which can be used on the edges/perimeter wall. Building Control won't allow the height to be increased. Does anyone know how to fix the zinc when there is no abutment or parapet on the tallest/verge of the roof?

Am I right in saying that the standard width of the panels is 600mm wide
and 0.7mm thick? Which is the best and cheapest company to order from? How long is it likely to take to make and delivery to North London?

I have already tried speaking with the manufacturer and they were not helpful. Slightly surprised to learn that you have to buy their product from a third party.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @freddymercurystwin

I will send him a message but I don't want to rely on only one person for info. He might be washing his hair!

I get silly when I use the PC and thought it would be more interesting if I lied and said I was from Albama then Winchmore Hill.

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes I can provide you with everything you need. We stopped using the 38mm size fold about 20 years ago and now use 25mm all the time. As for the rooflight details....... I would cut and solder gussets to each corner and then fabricate and install a flashing all round giving 75mm vertical cover. The alternative is sweep detail which even the experienced tradesman finds difficult. Neither detail is easy unless you're a professional and it's the weakest point of the roof.
If you send me a list of what you require I could fabricate and deliver to you and once you've installed I could return and solder the gussets around your roof light.
I admire your attitude in your approach to DIY but just to advise you that my basic tool kit for zinc work is about £1000 and for every detail there is a specific tool.
The devil is in the detail.
Hope this helps. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back