Flat roof dormer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a dormer window installed and this has a flat roof. The plans specify code 5 lead but I am considering zinc as I have two existing dormers which are covered with zinc and seem perfectly fine. I have checked with the local building control and they are happy with that.

The flat top area of the dormer is approx 3.25m x 1.75m.

My question is what sort of cost would this be for lead and would there be a significant difference for zinc? The builder has allowed about £2500 for the roofing contractor for the code 5 lead and says the zinc would cost the same. Would this sum be reasonable?

Sponsored Links
Zinc is cheaper, presumably £2500 is for the whole lot?

Out of interest if you have two existing zinc ones why did your architect spec lead?

The cost is for just the new dormer. Does that seem reasonable?

I don't think the architect realised the exising ones were zinc. He just specified lead as that is presumably the best.

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't cost that much for zinc!!

It does depend on the details needed to interface the other roof but zinc is the cheapest of the metals we use so therefore should be cheaper than lead to supply and fit otherwise we wouldn't be competitive. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back