Help needed with potterton lynx please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
I have a potterton lynx electronic combi boiler.
The problem is it keep switching itself off after reaching the second light it turns itself off
Anyone have any ideas
:cry: Sue

Sponsored Links
Is the Lynx original with two coluums of lights or the later Lynx II with only one coluum?

What is the last light illuminated show as?

I am not sure what you expect to be able to do whatever we tell you is likely to be the problem! Are you well versed with electronics and hydraulics?

Be aware that your boiler is probably about 12 years old and ready for replacement.

Tony

Hello tony,
It is the two collum ,what do you mean last light ......?
Know a little,but any help would be much appreciated

That sounds like the original Lynx !

You said that it only lights two lights? Does it do the same thing on CH and DHW ?

If I remember correctly then the second light is the "demand" light.

If thats correct it implies the flow switch is not allowing it to proceed.

That would be the pump or the flow switch itself at fault.

What are you going to do next?

Tony

Sponsored Links
maybe it could be the pump , as the flow switch is only about 2 years old , also we took off the cable to the mother board from the flow switch and manually connected the two pins so to tell it that the flow switch was on or flowing , it did not light up

No, regardless of what the pump is or is not doing the boiler would proceed with the initiation if you join the flow switch contacts.

You should have told us the full story when you made your first posting!

What else have you done?

Tony

It started about two weeks ago ,usually when it was working ok it would heat the water up go to three lights then turn it self to low flame ,but it started to go to two lights then go off when it went down to one light it would start up again , now in the last three days it starts up, on heating and water ,but goes out after about 2 minutes and doesn't come back on unless you wait 5 minutes then turn back on the water

You should check the cold resistance of the temperature sensors!

But I suppose you will probably say you have already done that!

It might also be the famous air flow sensor though. Cold resistance about 1.3 ohms measured at the plug to the PCB !

Tony

No i wern't going to say i have done that :D
I dont think i will be able to ...i was thinking what about the expansion vessel .Thank you for trying to help me
Sue

Its clearly ( to me ) part of the start up sequence!

Pump
Flow switch
Fan
Air flow sensor
gas valve
ignition
flame sensed
run

Are you a boy called Sue?

Tony

You seem to know more about boilers than the average user! Most females just call someone the moment it stops working. What job do you do?

Finding a fault is just a matter of following the start up sequence to the point it stops.

Does the sequence above help?

Tony

I make bears & soft sculptures. I think i will have to give in and get a new boiler as over the past 2years i have paid out well over £500 (a mother board ,fan, and so on ). The reason i know a little is, i watch and ask questions(some may say it is being nosey)and over the years i have been in mainly male oriantated jobs and its interesting stuff.(british gas will quote me tomorrow)But i did tell him i don't want a gold boiler just a plain one ...lol
Sue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back