help needed with wiring switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my light in my kitchen and living room run off a 2 gamg switch and a one gang switch i want to change this to a 3 gang switch is this possible and can i get instruction on how to do it.

the wires coming down are. 2 seperate cables 1 with 3 wires red,black earth

the other is red,blue,yellow and earth

they run all 3 lights.

Sponsored Links
The separate gangs on the switches are separate.
Just wire up the new 3 gang switch in the same way as the old ones.
Just make a careful note and/or photo of the original wiring and look carefully at the switches to understand how the terminals are laid out.

Usually they are laid out like this (2 gang switch shown)

You've only got 2 cables - why do you want a 3-gang switch?

Is the R/Y/B one in the 2-gang with the red going to one COM, the other COM linked, and the yellow & blue into the L1s?

Basically you just need to make a careful note of which wires go where and transfer them to the new switch - a 3-gang switch is just three individual switches on one faceplate (but possibly all enclosed in a single moulding at the back).

Read the Wiki article on how switch terminals are arranged - sometimes with multi-gang ones the relative positions are inverted on every other gang, although with 1-way switches that's not a problem.

Also read the one on different labelling conventions for terminals - COM/L1 vs L1/L2 etc.

You should understand how lighting circuits are wired and what switches do before you start the job. As well as being a generally useful tool to have, a multimeter is a good thing to use to play around with switches and see what they do - particularly with 2-way and intermediate ones.

thanks but unfortunately the guy who took the tiles off the wall and plastered for me disconnected the wires and insulated them so now all i have is the 2 cables and thats it he did not take a note of where the wire went

Sponsored Links
thanks but unfortunately the guy who took the tiles off the wall and plastered for me disconnected the wires and insulated them so now all i have is the 2 cables and thats it he did not take a note of where the wire went
In which you will need to get access to a multi-meter and know how to use it.
You should also read here about the different lighting circuits here:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting
Given the colour of conductor insulation you may have two way lighting or one way it is difficult to tell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back