HELP New tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced my bathroom sink hot water tap but found that it was the reverse of all other taps in my house eg: to turn the tap ON I have to turn it CLOCKWISE. Due to visitors frequently attempting to turn the tap on the opposite way the whole tap has become loose and the fitting underneath the tap is very difficult to get to. 3 separate plumbers have tried tightening it in the past but because visitors use the tap as mentioned above the tap is permanently loose.

I went to B&Q today to buy another set but found that the new one was exactly the same as the one I was wanting to replace. The man at B&Q tried to convince me that ALL taps have to be turned ON in a CLOCKWISE manner. I explained the principle of screwing a screw which of course is CLOCKWISE to tighten and anti-clockwise to unscrew. To my mind, even though I am a mere female, it is the same principle for taps. I don't want taps that turn the opposite way to everybody else's - what can I do? Where can I go to get a conventional tap gland??????????

Sponsored Links
Are these "quarter turn" taps? Quite often these have funky tops which go opposite ways to each other, so that both are pointing forwards or whatever when open.
You don't reckon need new taps, you need a competent plumber. It isn't that difficult to make taps rigid.

No fewer than 3 plumbers and have tried and failed to make the tap rigid in the past. However, I have solved the problem myself (before I read your reply) by replacing the HOT top tap gland with the COLD tap gland so now I have both taps turning in a conventional manner. My next task is to unscrew the sink from the wall and tighten the nut underneath the tap that way. My only concern is why the glands are colour coded red for hot) and blue for cold. If I get an answer to that one then maybe I will have to change the b****y gland back to what it was and go back to opposite turning taps!!!!
Meanwhile I intend to write to the manufacturer to point out their silly design error.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry, I forgot to confirm yes they are half-turn glands - I haven't replaced the whole tap - just the top tap gland.

Sponsored Links
why the glands are colour coded red for hot) and blue for cold

They are right and left handed The idea being that both levers are in a symmetrical position when both taps are on or off
If your taps are piped the wrong way round ie. hot on right then this will result in further confusion. So long as you fit the inners conventionally [cold on right] you will get round the problem

Thanks but I don't fully understand the replies.

MOD

edited

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back