Help! New to DIY and 36 weeks pregnant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My husband and I have very recently moved into a 1930's 3 bed house. I'm 36 weeks pregnant so we're on a very tight timescale - i'm also not able to do very much so we're a pair of hands down.

We need to decorate the nursery (little box room) and our main bedroom before baby comes - in 4 weeks and no sooner! The former owner was a very heavy smoker and so we have removed the carpet from the main room (and the fitted wardrobes) which took up so much space.

The baby's room is a straightforward decorating job. However, in the main bedroom we need to skim the walls with plaster and make good a few small hole smade by nails etc (getting a professional to do this), and we'd like to make good the floorboards which are in pretty good nick, and use them for flooring.

My questions are:
1. We are getting the plastering done on Friday - and have booked the sanding machine for Saturday. We are only skimming the walls with plaster but will all the dust generated from the sander get into the plastering? How long do we need to leave it beofre sanding?

2. The room is about 3 m by 3m. How long does it take to sand a room of this size and how much dust will this generate? Will the sander absorb the dust? If not, how long does it take to get rid of the dust?

3. How long does it take to placed sealant / filler between the floorboards and stain. My husband is a teacher and so this will be an evening/weekend job and we only have a 3/4 weekends before baby comes.

4. We will be decorating after the sanding so need to take care wtih dust sheets etc but any advice here?

5. Finally, is this just a massive job not to be undertaken at all and should we just get a carpet? (currently tempting)

Speedy responses would be very much appreciated.

many thanks
Trying not to panic kathychick

Sponsored Links
Hi Kathychic, if the sanding is done the day after the plastering it will not affect the plaster at all. You will need about a week before you put a mist coat of matt emulsion on the walls to seal them before rubbing down and applying further coats.
The sanding will create a vast amount of dust there is no doubt. make sure the door is sealed and the windows open. The sanding would be done in the day and cleaned up. You shouldnt really use a filler between the boards as this will most probably shrink and crack. A good water based varnish will go on very easy with following coat the second day. Make sure the floor is well covered before yuo finish the walls to avoid any splashes. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back