Help picking hardware for my PC inside a desk project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people as you might of guessed from the title im attempting to building a desk which will enclose my pc tower so you will only see the monitor. as its going to be enclosed in say a wooden box. I'm planning to have 2 intake fans on one side 2 fans inside to help push air from one side to the other, and 2 fans at other end blowing what should be warm air out... this is the plan. I also want to be able to control the 2 intake fans via software or hardware and control 2 inside fans and the 2 fans blowing out all separately. so i have full control of my air in / out and airflow inside my desk if that make sense.

So to control all 3 sets on fans am i better off using software or hardware and what hardware ? I know you can get fan controllers but will they allow me to control 3 sets of 2 fans individually or is there some software on my motherboard that can do this?

Is this my best option : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BB-006-AK&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=189

also am i missing something or over looking other ideas?

any feedback will be most appreciated

Pc mobo: MSI-Z77-Z77A-GD65
Fans: ASASA viper s-flow 12cm 4 pin connector x 6
550w PSU

Sponsored Links
How much heat are we talking about.

A 550w supply is fairly powerfull, what CPU and what graphics card if any do you have, these will often run hot. If you don't have a graphics card and don't do anything that stresses the CPU then you will be looking at much less heat.

For fans consider temperature controlled ones, then you don't have to do any button pressing and they tick over very slowly at lowest setting, you can put the sensors where you expect the heat to be.

You could also have the fans suck air up through tunnels from underneath the desk, and blow out through tunnels, and enclose the case completly. This vastly reduces any noise from the case.

I did a similar thing with a wooden PC case I made, as the PC had 7 cooling fans and sounded like a jet taking off, now it is quite enough to hear the coil whine from my monitor :(

Jockscott - Not got the cash for liquid cooling atm :(

Aaron - i got AMD Radeon HD 7850 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivy Bridge) CPU

do play alot of games, sound is something im abit concered about thats why was looking into fan controllers to allow me to fine turn between temp and noise to find right balance. would it be worth looking into sound dampening in term of foam if sound does become a problem obviously i would not know until its built... so far i got my desk and just a case of fitting pc into my desk know and make the holes for various parts etc

Sponsored Links
Similar compontents to mine then in terms of heat output.

A solid wood enclousure will significantly dampen noise, the problem is air inlets/outlets.

If you cut out a round hole for the fan and face it outwards, that is a direct route for sound to travel through, there will still be some reduction but you might find it dissapointing vs the effort.

Creating 'funnels' where any sound has to do a 90 degree turn to escape will help much more, you could just make little rectangular boxes so that fans are offset away from intake/exust grills.

Foam at the thickness you can practially use doesnt really dampen sound, it does help to capture it (stop it bouncing) into the mass of the case / desk, so the mass of the structure is what matters here.

Thanks for the picture, that would be a possible solution with my design, how much effect on the efficiency on the fan would that have ?

I made sure the slits for ventillation added up to the same surface area as the fan.

It doesnt have any appreaciable affect on the airflow.

On one experiment I made smaller slits, it didnt seem to affect the fans output but it did create a suction noise.

Sponsored Links
Back