Help/Recommend Room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im after a little help i have a ferroli modena 102 combi boiler and a siemens RWB7 7day programmer but i want a room thermostat, should i ditch the RWB7 and replace with a room thermostat/programmer or should i add a thermostat to what i already have?

Sponsored Links
You could do either, and as the RWB7 is a very basic unit with only 4 wires, it would be an easy job.

You need to consider where the new stat will go. If it is far from the boiler, a wireless stat may be better. Stats need to be either in the hall or living room, away from heat sources that could affect it (rads or direct sunlight), and its better if the rads in that location don't have thermostatic valves.

Where is the timer located at present?

Will you be installing yourself?

The timer is in the kitchen and the boiler is on the other side of the wall in the garage! So a wireless unit will probably be my best bet so it can be fitted in the hall. I intend on fitting myself so once I know what unit to get that will probably be my next question!!

Sponsored Links
Do both the units have a base unit which is wired as I'd like to get rid of the timer in the kitchen but I'd then be left with holes in the wall and if they come with a base unit that could be fitted in place of my old timer it would be ideal

Yes, both have base stations that need a 240V supply.

If you keep the old timer, the base station/receiver for the stat only version could be fitted next to the boiler.

If you want the programmer stat, then the receiver can either go where the old timer is (the 4 wires you need are already there), or next to the boiler.

Thanks for your help I think I'll go with the programmer stat as I like the idea of it being free standing I assume it won't be too difficult to fit had a quick look in mine and it's got live neutral and 2 other wires going to terminals 2&4.

Wire 2 will go to connection A on the receiver, 4 will go to connection B as I recall without seeing the instructions.

Obviously the live and neutral on the receiver go to a 240V supply.

This may be a silly question but does the programmer stat take the room temperate from the wireless box or the base unit?

The wireless box/transmitter is the stat. Its location is important to ensure correct temperature monitoring and boiler control. The instructions will give guidelines.

The receiver receives commands from the wireless stat/transmitter, and is basically a glorified switch that switches the boiler on and off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back