HELP! Replacing 3 gang light switch.

By the way I'm just an amateur DIYer that was feeling overly confident from doing a few good things to my own flat.

Sponsored Links
We've bought all new plug sockets too but I think I'm just gonna tell him we're better off leaving it cos it's too complicated. But they are so orange with smoke they are nearly brown. We bought them from Screwfix so can just get a refund.

Buy a bottle of meths and some tissues then. That will probably clean then up nicely (with the power off).

We've tried all sorts of chemicals on the white freezer and it's not shifting so I can't see it sorting the plug sockets. Wish I had taken a photo of how bad it looks.

One of the switches we was gonna replace too was a FUSE switch next to a fire place, I looked behind the switch and there was like 6 wires for 1 switch!!

Screwed it back on and run away lol.

We've tried all sorts of chemicals on the white freezer and it's not shifting so I can't see it sorting the plug sockets. Wish I had taken a photo of how bad it looks.
I bet all the carpets and curtains stink as well.

Unless your friend, and any related beneficiaries, are desperate for every last penny, or unless the nature of the house and its location mean that in tip-top condition it would be highly desirable and worth a lot more, I'd say sell the house as it is, getting what it's worth in the condition it is in. Most buyers will look at it and think "half a day or so's work and £50-worth of switches and sockets, and that's sorted." A lot of buyers will be planning to replace them with something more decorative anyway. And if the place does smell then having pristine white accessories or not isn't going to be a deal breaker.

One of the switches we was gonna replace too was a FUSE switch next to a fire place, I looked behind the switch and there was like 6 wires for 1 switch!!
L/N/E in and L/N/E out?

Screwed it back on and run away lol.
I think that given your lack of confidence you are doing the right thing.

Sponsored Links
Luckily it's wooden floors in the main dining area and living room where they smoked most. The place doesn't smell too badly actually since all the furnitures been stripped out and giving to charitys etc.

You are right though nobody's going to turn the property down because of a few yellow bits of plastic. Atleast it's not the original wooden switches from the 20's lol. The consumer unit is recent aswell. It's just detailing really isn't it. He wants maximum money and quick sale without anyone nit-picking, and I think also wants to put a bit of pride into the place as it's his long term family home.

Am I right about these 50p plastic surface boxes from screwfix though? They seem to crack at the slightest bit of torque in the screws lol!

You only need the lightest of touch when doing up those screws.

You aren't tightening up cylinder head bolts!

Disaster averted!!

I've bought you all a round of virtual pints for the help cheers.

My mate asked me if I could atleast look at swapping the aerial port in the living room aswell, I unscrewed it, saw it was all rusty and full of concrete and not enough slack on the cable and said to my mate forget it, leave the rest just be happy with all new light switches.

Cheers all.
Lots of life lessons learnt here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back