Help: Replacing 'Paramount' plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm shortly going to be replacing the plasterboard in my bathroom (which is rotten) with Aquapanel for any areas that could get wet and plasterboard for other areas (the wet areas will also be tanked).

I have been taking out a section of plasterboard to look for studs and found to me displeasure, that the plasterboard in the bathroom is of the 'paramount' type, i.e. the wall has a single panel of plasterboard interconnected to the other side by a cardboard mesh. On top of this another plasterboard panel has been applied.

I have had a look and it appears that the 'paramount' plasterboard has been nailed to studs at the top, bottom and sides of the wall.

My plan at the moment is to, remove the plasterboard and in the process of doing this, break the cardboard mesh.

I then intend to install studs and then screw the new plasterboard onto it.

My only concern is about the other side of the wall from the bathroom. I have a bedroom on one side and a kitchen on the other.

If I take down the wall and break the mesh, I assume I am taking away alot of the support the wall once had and leaving it like that would mean the only support it had would be the nailing at the top and the bottom of the wall.

I don't really want to screw the plasterboard to the stud from the bedroom and kitchen side as I have already decorated these walls and don't want to make a mess.

Is my only option to screw into the studs from the bedroom and kitchen side and redecorate, or can anybody suggest any other course of action?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back