Help required with materials for non permanent underdesk mount

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for long title.

I am trying to mount a flight simulation yoke under the desk as on the desk is to high up.

My idea is 2 frames, one permanently fixed (low profile) to the underside of the desk, the second frame would removable when not in use.

I have looked into B&Q specials with wood, brackets and flush mounts, even went as far as using CAD to create an aluminium extrusion mount, but aluminium extrusion is expensive and it lacks hand tightening bolts. I will try included a picture of the AE to show what I mean.

Does anyone know of an easier method of connecting the two parts but to offer enough strength to reduce wobble when the yoke is in use.

TIA

Attachments

• Desk Mount Aluminium extrusion.png
    Desk Mount Aluminium extrusion.png
    364.6 KB · Views: 163
Sponsored Links
If you’re happy to have a removable part, could you not just build a frame that sits on the floor? Plenty of temporary ways to fasten it to the table leg to make it sturdy, Velcro, a latch, etc

Use a small tv bracket screwed to the underside of the desk on battens. Sit down with the yoke in the perfect position fixed with a large pad of velcro on the tv side of the bracket. Tighten all the bolts on the bracket arm so it rigid. The bolt on the arm nearest the desk replace with a wing nut so you can take off or loosen and swing the tv arm back under the desk

Unistrut comes to mind. Lots of compatible parts and fixings. Its like big-boy mechano

Sponsored Links
Or Dexion angles- not quite as beefy as Unistrut but easy to lash something odd together.
Or for a more timber oriented approach, you could make your bottom structure out of 2 x 2 legs and a bit of half inch ply, put a top on it as well (more half inch ply) then velcro on the top of the removable bit and the underside of the desk (to stop it wobbling) and loose pin hinges to defy gravity. You could pass on the Velcro if you can live with a bit of backlash in the whole mech- draught strip would do if you had any kicking around to take up the inevitable slack in the pin hinges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back