Help! Rescuing PVA glue stained skim plaster?

Thanks for replies - they've done the downstairs too and it's even worse down there....pva everywhere....

Was thinking I could try washing and scraping downstairs as he hasn't started that yet but should I start washing the wall with paint on already? This has the 2 diluted coats so far...was hoping there would be a magic zinsser product we could spray on to seal shiny pva patches and hide shiny streaks...

Sponsored Links
You will need to wash and scrape the areas using warm water and a broad edged scraper changing the water frequently, when dry apply a thinned oil based undercoat before your emulsion.

Dec

Thanks thedec, I'd sent an enquiry to zinsser last night and a very helpful man just phoned back. He talked about a washing/scraping option but was worried about success as the pva has been on the walls since January - other stuff has been done to the house since then and other rooms decorated so this is the final bit.

He didn't recommend just treating the pva-ed bits alone with any sort of treatment as the finish will always look different. He said the best product they have for the job is zinsser gardz, apply a coat all over the walls with a roller - that's both the ones already emulsioned and the bare ones yet to be tackled downstairs. He said he has experience of it working on pva and it's cheaper and less noxious than bin or 123.

He also talked about the constant battle between builders who love to apply pva everywhere and paint companies who get the customers complaining that their paint is blistering and won't stick. He acknowledged that pva is a fantastic product but to use it as they've done in my case, brushed neat over filled cracks, was a ridiculous idea especially as I told the plasterers I was having the whole house replastered so I could paint the walls. I didn't spend weeks stripping layers of Anaglypta off every wall in the house to have to re-paper it all as the plasterers were so cr@p - grrrr!!!

In case it helps anyone this Gardz product also covers things like wallpaper paste too.

Now to suggest to my other half that he has to go back and roller the walls upstairs with Gardz as an extra step....!!!

Sponsored Links
Oh god - I've tried in the past and am utterly inept despite real effort and enthusiasm...I work backstage in a theatre and they won't let me help with any painting there either. We redecorated the green room one Summer and for some reason all the bits I'd painted turned yellow instead of white. No-one could work out what I'd done though i'm convinced my bits must have been stained underneath to start with...

Thanks for all your help!

Yes!! It was the brush!! I always thought that actually....I'd insert a smiley thing here if I knew how!

When I first bought my house I was single and redecorated the living room - I ran out of paint with only a small area left behind a load of Ikea wooden stacking boxes in a corner....and I was a bit poor....so rather than buy another tin to do that bit I just left it - I convinced myself I'd never move the stuff until I came to redecorate in a few years anyway.

A few years later came and I was then with my other half. We decided to redecorate the room and he was disgusted to find this unfinished area - cries of "what kind of terrible decorators would do that?!!" ensued. I confessed it was me - he said he was suprised I hadn't just painted round all the stuff on the mantlepiece while I was at it.....I didn't tell him I had considered it but thought I might change things round on there before it was time to redecorate!

I'm sure I can hear a cacophony of disgusted gasps over the ether!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back