Help setting pipe stat for heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved into a new house (old system) and it appears that the heating to the rads only works by turning on the hot water and then a stat on a pipe controls the heating pump. This works but the rads aren't getting that warm (have bled them all) and when I turn up the stat to more than 45-50 degrees it then doesn't run the pump and the heating doesn't come on ie the pump doesn't start. when i turn the stat back down to 45-50 degrees'ish it works again. Any ideas how I can increase the temp to the rads? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Post pics of what you have, a pipe stat is normally used in conjunction with a frost stat, I doubt you are using the correct terminology

thanks ianmcd and you maybe right :) here is the stat on the pipe that turns the pump on for the heating, the silver box thing is for a a log burner which heats up the water in place of the boiler. Sorry if this isn't clear...
20221125_201513.jpeg
20221125_201441.jpeg
20221125_201427.jpeg

OK looks like a different use, looks like it is there for when your log burner is on , it detects that heat is being produced and activates the pump to dissipate the heat to your rads/hw circuit so the lower the better , about 30 degrees should work

Sponsored Links
Thanks ianmcd, so if i set the stat to 30 degrees should the rads get hotter with or without the log burner on?

Thanks Jeff, the log burner isn't on at the moment and the rads are warm but not hot, do you think I need to run the boiler and the log burner at the same time to get the heat I need?

The Dunsley neutraliser is to combine different heat producing appliances.
You may have gravity primaries which require very hot water to heat your hot water.
You’ll get nothing out of it without fuel. That’s certain.
You can run your boiler on low and let the log burner top it up. Or vice versa.
It’s very basic but works well.
Usually the pipe stat is used as a safety device to prevent overheating.
I’ve fitted lots of them with good results usually.

Thanks Jeff, the log burner isn't on at the moment and the rads are warm but not hot, do you think I need to run the boiler and the log burner at the same time to get the heat I need?
The boiler should achieve that on its own tbh.

The boiler should achieve that on its own tbh.
Thanks Jeff, that's what I thought too, do you know if there is a setting somewhere to control the ration of which provides the heat or is this just a case of running one or the other or both? Thanks

Just experiment!
Show some other controls and cylinder connections, motorised valves etc.
What is the boiler thermostat set to?

Just experiment!
Show some other controls and cylinder connections, motorised valves etc.
What is the boiler thermostat set to?
Thanks Jeff, i can't find any other controls apart from the main timer/controller, also can't find any motorised valves and no controls around the cylinder apart from an immersion backup. The boiler is set to max its on 5 on a 1-5 scale. The only other part I can find is another pump near the boiler which I presume is for the cylinder.

Thanks Jeff, i can't find any other controls apart from the main timer/controller, also can't find any motorised valves and no controls around the cylinder apart from an immersion backup. The boiler is set to max its on 5 on a 1-5 scale. The only other part I can find is another pump near the boiler which I presume is for the cylinder.
Does that pump run?
How hot is the pipework to and from the boiler?
What boiler do you have?

Does that pump run?
How hot is the pipework to and from the boiler?
What boiler do you have?
Thanks Jeff, that other pump is on all the time (so long as the HW is on at the controller) and the pipes from boiler the are really hot. The boiler is an old camray quartet oil fired boiler.

Do you have more than one pump? That pipe stat may be there to protect the woodburner- if you circulate too much cold water through it while it's lit you can get condensation problems which will rot the firebox. Mine is set to circulate under gravity only until the return reaches 50 degrees (into a thermal store rather than your low loss header but principle is the same).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back