Help Wet Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People

This is my first post so go easy on me...

I live in a mid 2 bed terrace built around 1890's.

Due to recent rainfall/ poor guttering some water has made its way into the corner of the downstairs lounge and is dripping into the crawlspace. I notice a damp patch on the wall classic case of penetrative damp?

I lifted up some floorboards and noticed two of the joists are wet at the join of the wall and this wetness has travelled 12 - 18 inches along the joists. The joists are quite small. There is not fungus or mould on them.

I have a someone i trust coming in to repair the front of the property to stop the water coming in.

The question is what do I do next. Will the joists need to be repaired (if so how) or will they dry out on their own?

Many thanks,

Raj

Sponsored Links
If there is sufficient air flow under your floor and the leak is cured then they will dry out on there own, sugeest you observe them for a week or so.

Thanks Nigel.

The air flow under the property is ok. But not brillant. What should I be observing?

Is there anything I can do to accelerate the drying. For example leave some of the floorboards off?

Thanks again.

Raj

The wet joists will lighten in colour as they try and usually the moist area tends to have a white ish line around when dry. If you are really concerned you can purchase moisture metre off the internet. If you leave the boards up it will allow better air flow

Silverline Wood Moisture Meter - 7-35% Content approx £13

Sponsored Links
Thanks Nigel that tremendously helpful.

One final question. How long should/ can this process take? It's not exactly warm at the moment!

Raj

Any further thoughts on this?

The leak is being fixed today. At the moment my solution is lifting up the nearest floorbords keeping and eye on the joists drying out naturally.

Is this still the best solution and how long will this take?

Raj

how long is a piece of string mate, could take a very long time to dry naturally best practise is to replace

Ok I've decided to replace the joists once the brickwork has had a chance to dry.

The lounge is 4m x4m. With around 8 joists.

Any thoughts on how much this would cost to do and how long it would take to do.

Thanks

Raj

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back