Help Wiring 3 lights and a 2G Switch>>

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys,

I know this is going to be a basic questions for some of you, but i had to start somewhere :)

I have 3 sets of wires. 1 set had a Black, red and earth wire. The other two sets both consist of a black and a red wire.

One set of wire controls the 1st hall light, the second controls the 2nd hall light and the 3rd set of wires control the outside light.

I have a 2G 2W switch. That has two switches on the front.

The problem is i can't get them all wired up so all 3 lights work. I think that the two hall lights are linked together.

This is how far i have got.

Top = C= black 2nd hall light. L1= Red 1st hall light. L2 Red 2nd hall light.
Bottom= C= black 1st hall light. L1=black outside light. L2 red outside.

With the above wired up. I get both hall lights on via one switch, the other switch operates the outside.

But one has to be off for the other to work?, well if the outside light is one, the hall lights just glow a little.

If i remove the outside lights wires, then both hall lights work fine.

Please can a kind sole advice me on wiring up this switch so all lights work as they should do?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

svan

Sponsored Links
First you need to be aware of the set up of the terminals on the light switches, think of each light switch having its three terminals (com, L1 and L2) in a isosceles triangle with the com at the point and the L1 and L2 along the base, you have one of these triangles for each side of the switch, and they are opposite ways up... with me so far?

You want one of the switches for the hall lights and one for the outside lights, I don't know what is going on with the wireing for your hall lights, but for the outsite light take it to one of the two switches and put red in com and black (ideally oversleeved in red) in L1 (or vice versa)

As I said not quite sure whats going on with the hall lights, maybe they were two separatly switched lights at one stage, try choc blocking one of them and putting the other red to com and black to L1, and see if the switch works one of the hall lights, also the lack of earth wire in those two wires is significant, it dates that part of your lighting circuit to before the mid '60s and is probably in need of replacement, also if the main radial 'backbone' for the lights is the same, then you will have no earth in your lighting circuit and having class 1 fixtures on that circuit will be dangerous (it is quite likely that this applies to your outside light)

Adam_151 said:
First you need to be aware of the set up of the terminals on the light switches, think of each light switch having its three terminals (com, L1 and L2) in a isosceles triangle with the com at the point and the L1 and L2 along the base, you have one of these triangles for each side of the switch, and they are opposite ways up... with me so far?

You want one of the switches for the hall lights and one for the outside lights, I don't know what is going on with the wireing for your hall lights, but for the outsite light take it to one of the two switches and put red in com and black (ideally oversleeved in red) in L1 (or vice versa)

As I said not quite sure whats going on with the hall lights, maybe they were two separatly switched lights at one stage, try choc blocking one of them and putting the other red to com and black to L1, and see if the switch works one of the hall lights, also the lack of earth wire in those two wires is significant, it dates that part of your lighting circuit to before the mid '60s and is probably in need of replacement, also if the main radial 'backbone' for the lights is the same, then you will have no earth in your lighting circuit and having class 1 fixtures on that circuit will be dangerous (it is quite likely that this applies to your outside light)

Hello Adam,

I think i follow you, but could you break it down further.

I understand the first part, but don't understand what you mean by choc blocking.

Also i am not sure what to do with the spare set of hall way lighting wires? Where should these be wired in?

Soz for the basics

As I said, I'm not totally sure whats going on with your hall lighting wires, so I suggested only connecting one set and seeing if that works in the normal way, leaving the other out the way for now

Choc block is slang for connector strip:

TLCON15.JPG

And you should put the other wires in two pieces of that while not connected to anything else, because its obviously not good to have live wires sticking out the wall for obvious reasons while you pop the power back on to test different configurations

Hope this has cleared a few things up... :)

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
As I said, I'm not totally sure whats going on with your hall lighting wires, so I suggested only connecting one set and seeing if that works in the normal way, leaving the other out the way for now

Choc block is slang for connector strip:

TLCON15.JPG

And you should put the other wires in two pieces of that while not connected to anything else, because its obviously not good to have live wires sticking out the wall for obvious reasons while you pop the power back on to test different configurations

Hope this has cleared a few things up... :)

Thanks for that Adam. Now i know hw to choc block :)

btw i was using black insulation tape, does that have the same effect?

I will try your suggestion tomorrow, any idea whats going on with the hall way lighting config. They are ligts one at the fron and one at the back of the hall way.

Any other suggestions also appreciated plz?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back