Help with banging shower pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is slowly driving me crazy!!!!

We live in a 3 story house, with a megaflow tank on the top floor. There is an en-suite on the same floor which has been fine for 8 years but now for some reason makes a banging noise.

The noise is coming from around the shower, and starts when the kitchen tap (on the ground floor) is turned on. No idea!!! The noise doesn't come on when the shower is in use, only when the kitchen tap (and maybe also the basin tap in the ensuite) is on. Weird!

It's like the water pipes in the wall are knocking....but could be wrong.

Here's the shower we have

https://www.mytub.co.uk/armitage-sh...-ctv-thermostatic-shower-valve-product-306021

Please help me as the thud, thud, thud, thud, thud is really starting to wind me up

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Heat and pressure causing badly clipped/routed pipework to basin to expand and move thus rubbing against a pinch point and resulting in the annoying sound you are hearing.

Only thing I can suggest is getting access to where the pipes enter the tiled wall - if from above and there is a loft space up there - fairly easy. If from the floor below - not so easy. Once you have access to the pipes you can try various methods to ease the tension on them and use felt lagging to act as a damper. You may have to go as far as exposing the pipes in the wall from behind - if it’s a stud wall with plasterboard on the other side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back