Help with boxing in pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'd really appreciate some help with boxing in these unsightly pipes in my kitchen that run through the worktop. I'm planning to box it down to worktop height and then have quartz countertop and splashback. I'm assuming I affix a batten against the wall, then noggins at short intervals and do the same on the left hand side and secure the outer batten to the noggins from each batten. I would put the noggins and alternating lengths, so that there is no overlap in the final batten.

Never done this before, so a quick heads up would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20230530_123442.jpg
    20230530_123442.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
If you were interested, there is ready to go boxing available, just pick the appropriate size....

If you were interested, there is ready to go boxing available, just pick the appropriate size....

This does look very interesting, but I'm mindful that it may be tricky to affix a splashback too and also we would want to paint it and match the finish on the walls.

Sponsored Links
Normally a joiners job, not a plasterers.

One way is to make up two miniature ladder frames from 2 x 1in softwood lath (two uprights with noggins connecting at 600mm intervals), which then get fixed to the walls and to each other at the corner. If you have problems fixing to the wall fix a lath to each wall first then screw the frames to the laths. Overclad with plasterboard, cement fibre board or plywood.

Second way is to fix two laths to the wall again as your grounds, then join (screw) two narrow rips of 15 to 18mm plywood at the corner and fix that to the laths. Can be overclad with PB as required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back