Help with dripping tap.

esk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I try to turn my hot water tap off it doesn't 'catch'. If I continue to rotate it towards the off position it continues to turn and the water comes back on again.

I've removed the caps and the hot tap fitting (on left) appears to be sitting proud compared to the cold tap. See the position of the clasp round the neck of the fitting. It is sitting in a notch but on the cold tap the clasp is around the base of the fitting with no sign of the notches.

Can I fix this or do I need a new tap?

If I have to fit a new tap then I cannot see a way of turning the hot water tap off. My neighbours appear to have a little screw on the tap that can be turned to stop the flow of water. I don't have these just straight through pipes to the tap. I suspect I'll need to turn it off at the boiler - is this correct?

Is it safe to do this, fit a new tap then turn the hot water on again?

Thanks.

IMG_0126.jpg

Sponsored Links
Depends - what's the hw supply from?
If you dismantle the valve you may just find you can fix it. Circlips come off, etc.

Sponsored Links
Ist a vokera boiler.

I was worried that if I started to dismantle the tap, I'd have water spurting everywhere.

You would :D . If it's combi boiler, there will be a small isolating valve on the cold water input to the boiler, which will shut the hot water off.

From the photo it looks like the retaining clip has been pushed out of its slot. If u turn ya water off & take the valve to bits then reasemble it they are normally fine. There a bit of a fiddle untill u get to see how they work. Jumper that holds the washer only slides up & down in hexagonal housing while the spindle that the clip holds in place only spins when tap head is turned. If worse case u cant sort it u can get a pair of 1/2" tap revivers.

No the retainer clip was still firmly in its slot.

Found the taps on the boiler. Turned the cold inlet and hot out just for good measure.

Took the fitting off and disassembled to have a look. Re-assembled but still the same problem. The two internal rubber seals were badly corroded.

Quick trip to the DIY store and 98p later I had a new fitting.

Fitted it and turned on taps again. A bit of splutterring but all seems to be well again now.

Thanks for all the somments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back