help with fireplace..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a real fireplace which was made into a decorative fireplace before I bought the house. I've pulled all the plaster off the back and sides to expose the brickwork again in order to use a fire basket. The problem I have is that where the brickwork meets the plaster that is on the front side of the breast, the corners are obviously all tatty and jagged. what could I use/do to round the edge off onto the brick that will make a neat enough job to paint and that will stay there once the fire is lit?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
right angled metal sheet about 30mm wide...maybe from B+Q ...better from a sheet metal fabricator...more choice there ;)

Thanks Nige F. I've actually put anohter skin of 'country bricks' on the inside of the opening as the original brickwork looked rubbish! I've plastered across onto the edge of the brick and it looks really nice now! Just need to save up loads of dosh to buy the basket and back that the lovely lady has found (of course, the most expensive one she could possibly find!)

Sponsored Links
have you plastered right to the edge of the opening, ie flush to the inner edge of your new bricks? If you have you may need a rim around it or the heat of the fire may blow of your plaster? how have you finished it?
a nice chrome or brass angle trim looks good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back