Fireplace Mortar / Cement / Repointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently opened up a fireplace in my home, and intend to use this, primary as a wood burning fireplace, then insert a woodburner when my budget allows (image below)

I have exposed brickwork (beneath tiles) surrounding the external face of the fireplace up to about 4 feet on the front and side returns - above this will be boarded and replastered.

I have now removed the mortar to the outside faces of the fireplace (not inside it yet) and want to repoint to make it look nice and neat, before painting the bricks white, so I have a nice brickwork appearance.

Do I need to use fire cement to the outside faces of the fireplace for this, or would standard mortar suffice?

Obviously when I come to tidy and repair the mortar inside the fireplace at the base of the chimney, I would use fire cement.

Would appreciate comments.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Ordinary mortar on the outside would be fine in my opinion.

If you are thinking of a wood burner in the future (and for an open fire) check out the Building Regs for the zone for noncombustible materials and get your hearth size right.

From memory it is about 250mm all round of non combustible material.

You will also need your flue checked and possibly lined. Don't want any CO escaping into the room or into upstairs rooms!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back