fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Remodeling fireplace in old cottage, she's got a pic of what she wants. It involves brickwork instead of a fireback insert. Not a problem but advice would be good on what types of bricks would be suitable, and what mortar mixes would work- it would use a lot of premix fire cement!
Oh, one other thing, can you get a 'fire cement' dry to mix yourself?
Many thanks..........

Sponsored Links
What type of fire is being installed?
and is it just the insert that is being bricked up or the recess as well?
The common brick will do for an insert as will a portland mixed mortar, remember clay bricks are baked in a furnaces at very much higher temps, than your standard front room fire will ever reach.

I assume from your description that you are lining the fire opening for a fire basket or similar. If this is the case I would build the opening with normal commons and mortar then line with firebricks (these are available 1" thick but you have to search several sources to find them). Build the firebricks with ordinary mortar then rake out the joints about 3/8" deep and point with fire cement. You can always repoint at a later date to recondition the opening.

Just found this on e-bay:
Replacement Fire bricks Woodburner, Woodburning Stove (110548259931)

Sponsored Links
Thanks! The fire is to be an 'open fire' ie coal n logs sitting on a cast grate. I've knocked the existing tiny hole bigger to accept fire bricks and grate. I guess I'm being a bit dozy re bricks being made in hot furnaces!
The plan is now to fill extra space with commons, line with fire bricks on normal mortar and point with fire cement as suggested. Ta muchly.

The reason that fire bricks are used is that they can resist the rapid change in temperatures without cracking or spalling. They also conduct less heat and so are more efficient.
Ideally they should be laid with fireclay, although lime mortar is less prone to cracking than cement mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back