Rebuilding a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my 1920s house I have a large fireplace where the whole of the original fireplace, including the fireback, has ben removed. I've got a rectangular fire basket so I'm planning to build up the sides with fire bricks. What mortar do I need, any particular mix? Secondly I'd like to match the front of a fire place in another room that's built with bricks that are approx 2x 1 x 4 inches. Any idea if anything like that is made these days? Any suggestions welcome!

Sponsored Links
If the sides of the opening are more than a few inches away from the sides of your basket you can use ordinary bricks rather than firebricks, and ordinary mortar mix. If they're too close, use fireclay mortar (ask at your local fireplace shop/builder's merchant).

You can get a huge range of "reclaimed" bricks from salvage/reclamation yards. More than likely you can match closely to existing old bricks if you look around enough. You should pack rubble or other non-combustible material behind the bricks.

If you're using "open fire" you must have the chimney swept beforehand, and regularly during use. Do google search on chimney sweeps and you'll get some good info on how to adapt and safely use open fires. The sweep will advise you on the size of opening you can have, because it has to be in proportion to the size and shape of your flue. I think the ratio is 3:1 opening:flue but check that. Also you need to have sufficient ventilation into the room, and a smoke-test done.

Behind the fire basket you want a cast-iron plate (like an old manhole cover stood on its side) otherwise most of the heat will go through the back wall rather than into the room. You can get these at reclaim yards, or new from people on the web.

Good luck.

Thanks, 've done all the sweeping (2 bin bags of birds nest) and had advice on the opening. Will I need to add a throat restrictor?

Depends on the opening/flue ratio, ventilation and the results of smoke test.

If you decide not to have these thinks advised by a professional, I'd strongly recommend you fit a carbon monoxide detector in the room. Could save life(s).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back