Help with walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, bought my house a few years ago and been doing it slowly up, but one thing i have not had done yet is any plastering. The walls are a mess, you cant fix into them as there is about an inch of what is like sand and the only thing keeping the walls together is the skimming.I had to take some plaster back to brick, where a radiator was, its the same all over the house, before i get someone in to do it, should i knock off all the plaster and just get ever where back to brick and then get it plaster boarded and skimmed? Would doing that myself save me some money?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
yup it will save you money if you do the prep work yourself.

remove all the plaster back to bare brick as you say, remove all radiators and brackets, remove architraves around doors and windows, unscrew light switches and sockets, and finally pva all the brickwork in preperation for the new plasterboard.

hope this helps.

Are you having any work done that requires LABC inspection? If so be very careful about stripping all the plaster back to bare blocks. Under Part L of current Building Regs. external walls are a thermal element & if you remove more than 24% of the plaster from them & get found out, you could find yourself in the position where you will be required to upgrade the thermal value of ALL the external walls to meet current BR standards. Ever so slightly ridiculous IMO but this has actually happened & on this forum too!

With regard to prep work, stripping off is fine but I would advise you don’t do any other prep work without discussing it with your intended plasterer first. Some will be quiet happy for you to do it in which case follow their instructions explicitly but others will prefer to do everything them selves so they have end to end control.

I understand there will be cost implications for you but rather than cheap & cheerful dry lining with a skim, at least consider a traditional float & set; it’s a proper job & is worth the extra, particularly if you intend to stay in the property. ;)

I understand there will be cost implications for you but rather than cheap & cheerful dry lining with a skim, at least consider a traditional float & set; it’s a proper job & is worth the extra, particularly if you intend to stay in the property. ;)

darn right there Richard C.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back