Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:cry: Hi all.
We are having a right old nightmare. We are having the kitchen done and all was well with the electrics until the plasterers came in and plastered.
We have some new sockets put in and more cables laid for lighting etc.
The wiring was all done by an electrician and we had no problems at all. The plasterers were finishishing off the work when the electrics on one of the rcds tripped off. we tried to re set it but no go. I eventually unplugged the fridge and all was restored... that was yesterday afternoon.
The main fuse board is in the kitchen and all around the area is wet plaster. tonight the electrics tripped off again.. I un plugged the fridge and tried to reset the same switch.. no go.
The upstairs sockets are working. until that is you plug in a kettle and then they all trip off again.. same with plugging in a fridge.. bang off they go.
do you think the wet plaster is causing this?

Sponsored Links
Possibly giving a Neutral -Earth fault either through wet plaster or face plate screw touching N.
Only trips when current drawn by appliance, not neccessarily a faulty one!

Where would there be bare conductors that wet plaster could be in contact with?

Sockets left 'floating' for spreads to work around, then screwed back whilst excess plaster in box still damp! it happens :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Sorry - I didn't think about the possibility of someone being a big enough t**t to leave a box full of plaster.

I got a call couple of years ago about a fault with sockets. When I got there and enquired what had happened the tiler informed me that he had unscrewed live socket outlets to grout behind them. Needless to say he was getting electric shocks from them.

There's no helping some people...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back