Hemlock or Redwood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

Looking to replace a side garage door with a plan panel wooden door. Nothing too elaborate, looks not that important.

So we have a choice of two; both FLB, both Mortice and Tenon. Both 44mm thick.

Redwood is £87 + £35 delivery
Hemlock is £230 + £35 delivery

What does the extra get me? Is it worth it? As I say, less interested in looks, more interested in strength, rot resistance, longevity etc. Don't mind paying an extra if it makes a difference, but the door will be battered by the boy's football very quickly...

ta muchly

Sponsored Links
Both hemlock and redwood would need treatment straight away, hemlock is slightly more resistant to rot as it's closer to Douglass fir but not much. I'd go for redwood, you could nearly buy 3 doors for the same money and if well maintained there redwood will last a life time.

many thanks - that was my view.

The wife however looks it may not look good enough...so she's come up with another idea. One that is engineered 'engineered door which has a core of blocks of wood with a veneer of Meranti'

Again 44mm thick, but do you reckon it would last longer?

thanks

Personally I'd avoid veneer at all costs if its outside......given time, it'll delaminate. Go for the redwood and treat it well - especially the bottoms before its hung.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Grand - thanks for the quick reply. I'd prefer proper planks over veneer I have to confess. After a few coats of varnish I'm sure it'll look grand. It's also the cheapest by a long way.

I wouldn't varnish it. The film is liable to crack and needs a lot of preparation before periodic recoating. I have had satisfactory results with flexible breathing stain, or oils. If you don't like the pale timber, use Colron before you treat it.

Pay particular attention to the top and bottom of the door where water will get in and cause deterioration. They are usually neglected. Add a hardwood weatherbar. I would use wood preserver as well, especially on the top and bottom.

Lift-off stainless hinges make it easier to maintain.

Oh really? thanks for that. So no varnish - what are we talking with a flexible breathing stain - something like a high performance wood preserver from a shop beginning with W?

Cuprinol Clear is a good wood preserver suitable for painting or staining over. Looking at the ingredients and warnings, some own brands may be similar.

If you are going to stain over it, you don't want a preserver with water-repellent wax.

I use Dulux Woodsheen on the front door, and fence stain on the side gate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back