Hey, Doitall, I've got a working boiler and hot rads but...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...what's wrong with my shower?!

I finally found a bloke with a bag of spanners :LOL: who put in a Worcester conventional boiler (Greenstar 30 summat) and a new cylinder.

ALL my rads are lovely and hot and the new thermostat actually works!

OK it still takes 30 mins to actually heat up, but then it takes another 30 mins to actually cool down again so we just adjust. I still have my lovely school radiators and my huge pipes just mean we don't have to have the heat turned up so high! It's BLOODY BOILING and I love it.

Thanks for all your advice - I would have wasted a lot of money taking bad advice had you lot not told me stuff.

Now, he's fitted a new mixer shower over my bath. And I just don't understand why the hot water flies out of my bath tap (fills a two litre jug in 5 seconds) and then the shower is like fly ****... (fills 200mls in 5 seconds). It really isn't a proper shower at all: if it's up at the height my husband needs, it doesn't even project out from the shower head.

Surely the pressure difference can't be that different over a gap of less than a metre? Have they done something wrong they aren't telling me or do I just need a pump?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the shower mixer id suitable for gravity system :?:

If its suitable for low/high pressure has installer checked that there are no restrictors fitted in shower inlets

Thanks for your reply. They installed one mixer shower; output was rubbish. They went hmmm, said it mustn't be suitable for low pressure systems, went off an bought another one. To be honest, I can see no difference between this and the last.

They explained it by telling me the bath taps were 22mm pipes and the shower was 15mm and there are normally filters etc inside the shower unit.

I'm happy to accept this if this is the standard, but it seems like such a large pressure difference, I'm not sure...

Is there a way me and the Darling Husband could dismantle the shower mixer and check for 'restrictors on the shower inlets'?.

They've retiled the hole now though... Advice on what to do very very welcome. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back