high temp tile adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i will be laying ceramic tiles around my wood stove and hearth after crimbo and need to know what adhesive to use.
can someone point me in the right direction please,
many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
so will normal cement based floor adhesive such as granfix rapid set

it depends if you are going underneith the fire.as the temp under it can reach over 100c which may crack cement i would go for the heat resisting stuff to be on the safe side

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. The stove will sit on top of the tiles and will hopefully have tiles around it inside the old fireplace.
There is only a 60mm gap either side of the stove though so maybe better not to tile around it and just smarten up the existing bricks and mortar.

I use BAL non-flexible Rapidset, it will stand up to 150 degrees; flexy is only good for 100 degrees. Granfix may be the same but check the spec.

I don't use cement based grout which tends to break up, I leave a 1/2mm gap & use clear silicone.

Thanks Richard.
Is there a minimum distance between stove and surrounding brickwork/tiles.

For Building Regs, there is no minimum for non combustible materials; for combustible materials it’s 200mm. But the stove manufacturer may specify a minimum distance for ventilation/operational purposes, depending on the type of stove.

Thanks Richard.
Is there a minimum distance between stove and surrounding brickwork/tiles.
The info should be on the metal data plate at the back of the stove?

eg:

$(KGrHqJHJCEE63(UQ(EEBO49tVlPQ!~~60_3.JPG

That just states "distance from combustible materials" and not minimum distance around the stove.
The inset is brickwork which is obviously non combustible.

Found this, http://greymetal.co.uk/installation.php

Distance of stove to adjacent walls, combustible, non-combustible:

The CE plate on the rear of the stove indicates the minimum distance to combustible surfaces to the back, sides, and to the front of the stove.

There is no requirement for minimum clearance to non-combustible surfaces around the sides and back of the stove. However, 80mm is recommended if possible to allow for air movement and heat from the stove to enter the room. The further the stove is into the room, the more heat distribution there will be into the room.
Refer to Diagram 30, Page 42 of Document J for further installation dimensions and requirements for non-combustible wall thickness etc.

Briefly:
· There must be a minimum gap of at least 450mm (18'’) between any stove and any combustible material e.g. curtains, furniture.
· If the stove is placed within 300mm of a wall, and sits on a hearth abutting a wall, then the wall must be non-combustible (usually brickwork or stone) to minimum heights of 300mm above the appliance and 1.2m above the hearth.
· There is a minimum gap required between an un-insulated flue pipe and other material. To a combustible material it must be at least 3 x the outside diameter of the flue pipe (450mm for 6” single wall flue pipe). To a non-combustible shield it must be at least 1.5 x the flue diameter (225mm for 6” single wall flue pipe).

That just states "distance from combustible materials" and not minimum distance around the stove.
The inset is brickwork which is obviously non combustible.
Yes that was an example, my data plate does show distance for combustible and non combustible, not sure if they are all the same info?

Cheers guys. Thanks for ya time and help.
I've only got 60mm gap around the stove in the inset so this will have to do.

I've also got a question in the "building" section if you've got time to check that out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back